Education Privacy Notice
How RBGE uses your personal data: Education
Thank you for becoming an RBGE student. We value your interest in learning about plants - and your privacy.
The information RBGE holds about you may include:
- Name, address, email address, telephone numbers, and other contact data;
- Date of birth;
- Details of employment, educational background, nationality:
- Coursework and portfolios;
- Records of attendance, completion and performance;
- Qualifications, professional background, and your reason for applying for the course.
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To administer your education and training, including evaluation of your work;
- To manage our financial transactions; for example, by processing and keeping a record of course fees and charging;
- For the evaluation and quality assurance of courses;
- For the accreditation of awards;
- To evidence RBGE’s contribution to education in plant science.
We carry out these activities to fulfil our public interest role under Section 11 of the National Heritage (Scotland) Act 1985 to promote education and training in plant science in Scotland, and to fulfil our contracts with you, our students, to provide education and training.
If you are a student on a course which RBGE delivers in partnership with another institution, your information will be shared as appropriate with that institution (for example, Royal Horticultural Society, Scottish Rural College, Glasgow University, Edinburgh University, Edinburgh College of Art).
If you are participating in one of our online courses through PropaGate, your data will be held on propagatelearning.rbge.ac.uk and where appropriate myportfolio.rbge.ac.uk hosted for RBGE by Synergy Learning. Application and enquiry information is held on onlinecourses.rbge.ac.uk . RBGE shares your information with Synergy Learning. Synergy Learning accesses your information in order to provide technical assistance and stores the sites securely for RBGE. PropaGate student accounts will normally be removed after 18 months of inactivity.
Student coursework will be kept for no longer than 24 months after a student has finished their course. Other student records are retained for evaluation and quality purposes and will be deleted or destroyed 6 years after the end of your course. Selected coursework may be permanently preserved in the RBGE archive as historical records.
For more information about how RBGE processes your personal data and on your data rights, please see our Privacy Notice at www.rbge.org.uk/privacy.