Horticultural Internship Programme
Working as a Horticultural Intern at one of gardens of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (RBGE) you will work alongside our professional staff in the day to day management and maintenance of our world famous plant collections. At Edinburgh you will have access to our well-stocked Botanical Library and Herbarium and at all the gardens you will have contact on a daily basis with our experienced and specialist Staff. Many students have worked in one or more of our gardens and have enjoyed and benefited from their experiences with us.
The Living Collection of RBGE is located on four sites - Edinburgh, Benmore (near Dunoon in Argyll), Logan (near Stranraer in Galloway) and Dawyck (near Peebles in the Borders), and is the second richest collection of plant species in the world.
Shared self-catering accommodation is available at Logan and Benmore Botanic Garden if booked in advance. Students must source their own accommodation for Edinburgh and Dawyck.
As an intern we will offer you:
- Experience alongside our experienced horticulturists in one of our four Gardens
- RBGE poloshirt/sweatshirt (waterproofs and other clothing is not provided but are essential)
- Free accommodation at Benmore and Logan Botanic Garden (Edinburgh and Dawyck can supply a list of nearby accommodation, however your own transport is essential at Dawyck.)
- Certificate of Practical Training
- Reference for your CV
With regret, we are currently unable to accept overseas students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) on our horticultural internship programme as a result of changes in UK immigration regulations. We do not as an education provider currently fulfil any of the criteria necessary to support visa applications for such students.
For US students and recent graduates in the USA the BUNAC internship scheme has allowed such applicants to take up our horticultural internships, as BUNAC are able to support their visa applications.
Ensuring you have the correct immigration documents for entry into the UK is the responsibility of the individual intern.
Applications are accepted from 1st September - 31st May, however early applications are recommended. Applicants are responsible for financing the full duration of their internship. Funding opportunities can include: employer sponsorship, grants from universities or colleges, scholarships and bursaries, or self-sponsorship.
If you wish to take up the offer of an unpaid Horticultural Internship with us please complete and return the Horticultural Internship Application Form, together with a copy of your current CV and a photograph by email to email@example.com so that we can process your application.
- Minimum age 18
- Internships must last a minimum of 6 weeks
- Minimum English Proficiency Level B1
- Previous Practical Horticultural Experience
- Applicants are responsible for financing the full duration of their internship.
For those interested in applying for an internship at Logan Botanic Garden please click here.
If you are not interested in doing an Internship with RBGE but would still like to volunteer please click here.
- Edinburgh Job Description
- Benmore Job Description
- Dawyck Job Description
- Logan Job Description
- Horticultural Internship Application Form
On this site: