Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
Our Edinburgh Garden is open again to help us all reconnect with the wonderful world of plants. To keep everyone safe we have limited the number of people we can welcome to the Garden at one time and introduced a booking system. All visits must be booked online in advance.Book a time slot ticket
Explore the Garden
- 100,000 plants
- 70 acres
- 10 Glasshouses
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is a highlight of any visit to the Scottish Capital. A national treasure of Scotland, this spectacular Living Collection is 350 years old.
When visiting Scotland, a trip to the world-famous Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is unmissable. Visitors can experience an extravaganza of plants from around the world, learn about the Garden's rich and diverse Living Collection and discover a history dating back 350 years.
Set in over 70 acres of beautiful landscape and just one mile north of the city centre, the Garden offers superb panoramic views of the city skyline featuring Edinburgh Castle. The Botanics, as the Garden is affectionately known locally, is breathtaking at any time of year.
Highlights include the Rock Garden, the Alpine Houses, Woodland Garden, Pond, the Arboretum or tree collection, the Chinese Hillside, the Rhododendron Collection and the Scottish Native Plants Collection in the Heath Garden.
Visitors cannot help but leave with a deeper appreciation and understanding of the importance of plants in our world, and the need to support the Garden's important work.
- For more information about the Living Collection at Edinburgh and further information on accessibility, read on.
- Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is proud to be taking part in the Silent Space Scheme. Find out more on the Silent Space page.
- The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is located just one mile from the City Centre. Get directions.
Visiting during Coronavirus (Covid-19)
Visiting during Coronavirus (Covid-19)
Open daily 10am - 5pm
In extreme weather the Garden may close. Please call 0131 248 2909 to check.
Garden entry FREE
Unfortunately the Glasshouses remain closed at present.
Map of the garden (pdf)
You can take photographs and videos in the Garden for personal use; if you are using a tripod, please ask for a photography permit on arrival at either the East Gate or John Hope Gateway.
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh can be used as a location for wedding photography and non-commercial photoshoots, a member of staff will act as a steward for all photography sessions of this type. Please note that there is also a fee charged for this service.
In order to ensure that we can accommodate your request, please contact us two weeks in advance of the date of your visit.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org further information and to request a booking form.
For student photoshoots, please contact the Education Department 0131 248 2937
For Commercial photography, please check the Media and Commercial Photography page.
Regulations of the Garden
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is a precious museum of living plants. The Garden's Visitor Welcome team has a duty to protect the Collection. Therefore, please note our regulations:
- Visitors with assistance dogs are welcome. However, pet dogs will not be able to access the grounds
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult
- We do not allow bicycles, scooters, frisbee, kites, footballs, mechanically-operated toys and models or drone cameras for personal use into the Garden
- No jogging or running is permitted inside the grounds
- Please do not have picnics in the Rock Garden
Also as part of our official Scottish Parliament Rules and Regulations, visitors are not permitted to:
- pick, cut or destroy any flower or part tree, shrub or plant
- bring into any part of the Garden any flowers or plant life
- bring any package or other article or container after being requested by the Visitor Welcome Team not to do
- climb any tree, railing, fence or structure
- enter any part of the Garden after having been requested by the Visitor Welcome Team not to do so or in contravention of any notice or sign displayed at any part of the grounds or remain in any part of the Garden after having been requested by the Visitor Welcome Team to leave it
- behave or be clothed, whilst in any part of the Garden, in a manner reasonably likely to offend against public decency
- fish, bathe, swim, boat or skate in any part of the Garden
- collect or solicit money in the Garden
Acts for which written permission is required:
- Undertake any trade or business in the Garden
- Sell or distribute anything or offer anything for sale or hire
- Exhibit or affix any notice, advertisement or other written or pictorial matter or give any display, performance or representation
- Play or cause to be played any musical instrument in any part of the Garden
- Make or give any public speech or address
- Take, in any part of the Garden, photographs for commercial purposes
- Play any game or engage in any form of sport of physical exercise in the Garden
- Light a fire or discharge any firearm, firework or other weapon or missile
If you have lost any item
- in the Garden: please call 0131 248 2846 and select option 4 or email email@example.com
- at a wedding or a corporate event: please call 0131 552 1974 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- in Balfour or a Science Building: please call 0131 248 2800 or email email@example.com
Bus: The John Hope Gateway visitor centre is accessed via the West Gate, Arboretum Place (EH3 5NZ) and is served by Lothian Buses 29, 42 and 24 via Stockbridge and the Majestic Bus Tour (0131 220 0770). The Garden's East Gate is accessed via Inverleith Row (EH3 5LP) and is served by Lothian Buses 8, 23 and 27 from the City Centre.
Bicycle: Bicycle stands can be found at the East Gate and the West Gate.
Car: There is metered on-street parking available near the Garden’s West Gate (John Hope Gateway).
Address: 20a Inverleith Row, Edinburgh EH3 5LR
What's On in Edinburgh
02 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020
Early Warning Signs
10 Jul 2020 - 10 Jul 2020
Herbarium Tour 10th July 2020
02 May 2019 - 17 Dec 2020
!Cancelled until further notice - YIDL Community Yoga
28 Feb 2020 - 26 Feb 2021
!Cancelled until further notice - Cottage Cook Club
07 Mar 2020 - 03 Oct 2020
Saturday Meet the Gardener
07 Mar 2020 - 03 Oct 2020
Cancelled until further notice - Botanic Cottage Saturday Open Afternoon