Dawyck Botanic Garden, the first carbon neutral botanic garden in the UK, has exemplary environmental credentials and is a leader in sustainability.
- Dawyck has a hydro-electric scheme powered from the Scrape Burn which provides enough electricity for the Garden's Visitor Centre and to sell back any surplus to the national grid
- The Garden holds a Gold Award for Green Tourism Environmental Management
- The Visitor Centre has a green roof
- The Visitor Centre's heating is provided by a sustainable biomass boiler
- Dawyck encourages its visitors to recycle and to be aware of green issues
Regius Keeper Simon Milne, said: "We have combined past experience with modern technology to create a much more sustainable future for Dawyck. We have heat and electricity generated from green resources and we are thrilled that Dawyck is the first carbon neutral botanic garden in the UK."