General Regulations - Library and Archives
The following general regulations are intended to ensure the long-term preservation of the collections and all users are therefore asked to abide by them at all times.
- The Library and Archive collections are a national resource and users are therefore asked to treat items with an appropriate level of care; Library staff monitor the use of the collections and reserve the right to ask users to modify their behaviour where appropriate;
- When in the Reading Room users are expected to show consideration towards other users, for example, by keeping conversations to a minimum;
- No food or drink is allowed in the Reading Room;
- Laptops and other computing devices can be used in the Reading Room but should be used in silent mode;
- Mobile phones/pagers can be taken into the Reading Room but the making and receiving of calls is not allowed and the devices should be used in silent mode;
- Library and Archive materials may only be copied with permission from Library staff
- All copying should be carried out using the scanner that is available for use in the Reading Room; scanning to USB is offered free to users but printing is chargeable (please ask Library staff for details of the current rates);
- Copying of Library and Archive materials is permitted solely for personal research purposes and all copying must be in strict adherence to copyright legislation;
- The use of cameras is allowed subject to the completion of an Application Form to take Photographs in RBGE Library; please ask a member of Library staff for further information;
- The Library reserves the right to examine users' papers and / or bags before their departure from the Library.
Breaches of these regulations may result in users being asked to leave the Reading Room and, in the case of serious or repeated breaches, membership and access to the collections may be withdrawn.
Contact the Library and Archives
To book a visit or if you have any queries relating to the Library or Archives please get in touch using this formContact Us