Keep Edinburgh Buzzing!
Online short course
Could you identify these Edinburgh pollinators?
Credits from left to right: Top: James Clugston, Frank Brooks, Robert Thompson. Bottom: Jim Black, James Clugston Max Coleman
This is a short course on the importance of our pollinators and how you can help - whether you are in Edinburgh or anywhere else there is something for you! It has been developed by the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland and Edinburgh Living Landscape with funding for videos from the Sibbald Trust and help from Butterfly Conservation Scotland.
Free course - start anytime
Frequently asked questions
- What does the course cover?
The course covers the process of pollination, identifying pollinators and planting for pollinators. The specific learning outcomes are:
- Describe the process of pollination and its importance
- Identify the different types of pollinators and which ones we have in Edinburgh
- Identify which flowers attract which pollinators
- Describe the threats facing Edinburgh’s pollinators
- Take action to promote pollinators to your garden/home/local environment
- Describe how local organisations, local charities and projects are working to conserve pollinators and other invertebrates
- Who is the course for?
This course is for everyone who wants to learn about the importance of pollinators and what you can do to help. It is for a recommended age of 13+.
- How long will the course take?
It will take around 90 minutes to complete.
- Do I need any prior knowledge?
No, this is a beginners' course! Enthusiasm and motivation is all that is required!
- How much does the course cost?
This course is free
- What support will I get for the online course?
Online technical support will be available via email@example.com
- What will I need?
You will need a computer with reliable online access with a connection capable of streaming videos and downloading documents. This activity has been optimised for mobile devices although you may find your phone is a bit small to view everything! An up-to-date browser is the main piece of software you will need. We recommend Firefox or Google Chrome, although others may work.
Please make sure you have your headphones plugged in or your speakers switched on as there are some voiceovers in this course.
- How do I start?
Go to Keep Edinburgh Buzzing, click the 'Log in as a guest' button, accept the terms and conditions and you will be in the course area.
This course was a collaborative project between Edinburgh Living Landscape, RBGE and RZSS