A wide range of techniques are used to produce material, to ensure that our beautiful gardens are bursting with ingesting plants throughout the year. Ranging for new introductions to maintaining the plants we already grow.
- Propagation by seed allows the gardens to introduce many new plants from throughout the world.
- Vegetative propagation (cuttings) helps to maintain our existing collection in its exact genetic form.
- Modern techniques such as micropropagtion allow for reproduction of hard to root species and for disease mitigation.
- Creates a valuable learning experience for many students.
- Allows for distribution of material to other related institutions.
- Supports the work of our scientists and partner organisations.
An average of a 1000 new accessions are grown from seed from our own expeditions mounted in collaboration other botanic gardens and universities around the world. The Nursery has a range of facilities and experienced staff that ensure the highest possible germination rate.
The Nursery is also responsible for ensuring the survival of the established plants in the main garden and outstations. Much of this is undertaken by vegetative propagation to ensure that exactly the same plant is maintained. Cuttings and grafting material is harvested throughout the year and rooted using specialist facilities such as mist and fogging unit.
Difficult to root species are propagated by Micropropagation, using buds grown in special sterile conditions. This technique is also useful for the historic Rhododendron collection.
Browse through our diverse range of formal and informal education programmes for people of all ages and at all levels
RBGE publications include a range of titles with books on botany and botanical taxonomy, gardening and horticulture, art and history, children’s books and Guidebooks for all of our Gardens.
Knowledge Exchange links the research community with others.
Searchable Resource Centres
View our selection of searchable resource centres.
Check our latest news and connect with our experts
Find the ideal venue for your corporate event
Your dream wedding
The perfect setting to host your truly unique wedding.
Find out how you can support our work at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.