Frequently Asked Questions
Joining as a Member
- Why should I join as a Member?
Our Membership programme allows visitors to support our mission to explore, conserve and explain the world of plants for a better future.
By becoming a Member you will receive free admission to the Edinburgh Glasshouses and our Gardens at Benmore, Dawyck and Logan, as well as free or discounted admission to certain other botanic gardens. There are also discounts for Members in RBGE shops, restaurants and cafes, plus reduced prices for our education short courses.
For more information on the benefits of joining as a Member, see Membership Benefits.
- How can I join as a Member?
The quickest way to join is online:
You can also join in the following ways:
- By phone - call the Membership Office on +44 (0)131 552 5339
- In person - visit a ticket desk at any of our four Gardens
- How much does Membership cost?
Membership costs £36 for an Individual or £51 for a Joint Membership (two adults living at the same address).
Discounted rates (£32 and £44) are available for eligible concessions.
For our cheapest rates (£31 and £43), sign up via Direct Debit.
- Who qualifies for a concession rate?
Concession rates are available for:
- People aged over 60
- Full-time students
- People with disabilities
- People receiving Universal Credit or Jobseeker's Allowance
For concession rate Joint Memberships both adults must be eligible concessions. Proof of concession may be required.
- Can I bring a carer with me?
If you are a Member and need to bring a carer with you, please call the Membership Office on +44 (0)131 552 5339. We will send you a carer card which allows free access for a carer to accompany you when you visit our Glasshouses and Gardens.
- Can I Gift Aid my Membership purchase?
Yes, you can choose to Gift Aid your Membership when you join.
Gift Aid allows us to claim an additional 25p from HMRC for every £1 you spend on Membership or donate to us. It is only available for UK taxpayers who pay as much tax this tax year as the amount they claim Gift Aid on. For more information on Gift Aid, visit www.gov.uk/donating-to-charity/gift-aid.
- How long will it take for my Membership card(s) to arrive?
We aim to post your Membership card(s) within 10 working days, but be aware that it may take longer during peak Membership joining periods such as May to August.
If you purchase Membership online or in-person, you will receive a receipt which you can show to access our Glasshouses and Gardens for free, and obtain discounts in our shops, restaurants, cafes and short courses, until your Membership card(s) arrive.
Expiry, Renewal and Upgrades
- When will my Membership expire?
Your Membership subscription will provide you with twelve months of Membership. Membership always expires on the last day of each month.
For example, if you purchase Membership on any date in August 2019, your Membership will expire on 31 August 2020.
The expiry date is printed on your Membership card.
- Will I be reminded before my Membership expires?
You will receive an email reminder at least 28 days before your Membership is due to expire, including instructions on how to renew.
If you miss this email, you will receive a written reminder by post at least 14 days before your Membership is due to expire.
- If I renew my Membership before it expires, what will be the new expiration date?
If you renew your Membership before it expires, the new 12 month subscription will automatically be added to the date of expiry.
For example, if your Membership expires on 31 August 2019, but you choose to renew early when you visit the Garden in June, your new Membership expiry date would be 31 August 2020.
- Can I upgrade from an Individual to a Joint Membership?
You can upgrade your Membership from an Individual to a Joint Membership when you renew.
If you wish to upgrade your Membership before you renew, please call us on +44 (0)131 552 5339.
Gifts of Membership
- Can I buy Membership as a gift for someone else?
Yes! Whatever the occasion, RBGE Membership is a unique gift for garden lovers and supports our mission to explore, conserve and explain the world of plants for a better future.
- Will Membership card(s) be sent to me or the gift recipient?
We will send Membership card(s) directly to the gift recipient's address, with a note saying that this is a gift from you. If you wish for Membership card(s) to be delivered to your address so you can give it to them yourself, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org after you have completed your purchase.
- Will the expiry reminder be sent to me or the gift recipient?
You will receive a written reminder by post at least 14 days before the gift of Membership is due to expire, including instructions on how to renew.
If you choose not to renew we will contact the gift recipient to ask if they wish to renew.
Please note we do not currently send renewal reminders by email, so keep us updated if you move address.
Lost Membership Cards
- I have lost my Membership card. How do I get a replacement?
Please email email@example.com or call +44 (0)131 552 5339. Replacement cards are issued free of charge but may take up to 5 working days to be delivered.
Please note that you will be unable to access your Membership benefits (including free entry to our Glasshouses and Gardens) without a valid Membership card.
- I have found someone else's Membership card.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)131 552 5339 to let us know, or hand the Membership card to one of our Garden ticket desks.
Staying In Touch
- How do I update my contact details?
Please email your updated contact details to email@example.com or call +44 (0)131 552 5339. Please include your Membership number in your email.
- I want to receive the Botanics magazine by email.
Please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your Membership number in your email.
- How can I find out more about supporting the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh?
You can support us by donating, volunteering or remembering us in your will.
- How can I contact the Membership Office?
Contact us at email@example.com or on +44 (0)131 552 5339.
The Membership Office is open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.
You can also contact us by post at:
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
20a Inverleith Row
Full Terms and Conditions
- Membership Terms and Conditions
By purchasing or renewing membership with the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (RBGE) you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- All memberships are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- RBGE reserves the right to change the membership benefits at any time and without prior notice.
- Membership of RBGE is valid for 12 consecutive months unless a life membership has been purchased.
- Members must show a valid membership card to obtain entry to RBGE Gardens (and the Edinburgh Glasshouses) and to receive other membership benefits.
- We aim to process all membership packs within 10 working days once an application has been received.
- You can use your temporary membership receipt or confirmation email to gain access to RBGE Gardens and other membership benefits prior to receiving your membership pack.
- RBGE membership allows cardholders free or discounted admission to participating reciprocal gardens in the UK and overseas. Members must show their valid membership card in order to gain admission to these gardens.
- We will contact you at the start of the month when your membership is due for renewal with further information on how to continue your subscription.
- Payment by Direct Debit is the simplest and most convenient way to pay your RBGE subscription and, if you choose to change your payment method to Direct Debit, you will be eligible for our lowest annual rates. Your Direct Debit membership will renew automatically each year until you choose to cancel. A renewal letter will be sent out giving a minimum of 10 working days for you to notify us of any change or cancellation before the next payment is due to be collected. You can cancel your Direct Debit at any time by contacting your bank. If you do cancel, please notify the Membership Office on 0131 552 5339 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- We reserve the right to refuse admission and/or cancel memberships without refund if anyone behaves in a threatening or abusive way to any person at any of our four Gardens or damages or threatens to damage any of the collections or property of RBGE.
- RBGE reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time.