- The Herbarium at RBGE will only consider loans from recognised institutes and not from individuals. All loan requests should come from the Curator or Director of the researcher’s institute. A pdf copy of this letter can be sent by email to email@example.com
- All loan request specimens will be imaged and made available through our online Herbarium Catalogue before they are considered for loan. Once the researcher has viewed the images they must give a rationale as to why the specimens are still required on loan.
- Loans are normally issued for a period of 12 months only. Type specimens are issued for a period of 6 months only. An extension to this period may be granted following a written request.
- The permanent removal of any part of the specimen on loan for palynological, anatomical, phytochemical or molecular work is not permitted without obtaining prior permission. If the study requires destructive sampling a special request may be submitted. Please see our Destructive Sampling policy for more information.
- Specimens on loan should be stored in suitable conditions to ensure that no specimen is damaged whilst in the researcher’s institute. Specimens should not be removed from the researcher’s institute whilst on loan.
- Please annotate specimens with appropriate slips before returning the loan (e.g. Determinavit, Confirmavit, Fide….). These should be attached with archival quality adhesives or with a paper clip.
- Loans should be returned securely packed to ensure safe transit. A shipping notice should be included with each returned loan.
- Researchers should familiarise themselves with how to cite E specimens and a hard copy or pdf of the publication should be sent to the Herbarium at RBGE when available.
RBGE will process your personal data for the purposes of managing the Collections. For more information see our privacy notice.
Other ways to access the collections:
Browse through our diverse range of formal and informal education programmes for people of all ages and at all levels
Books at the Botanics
RBGE publications include a range of titles with books on botany and botanical taxonomy, gardening and horticulture, art and history, children’s books and Guidebooks for all of our Gardens.
Knowledge Exchange links the research community with others.
Searchable Resource Centres
View our selection of searchable resource centres.
Check our latest news and connect with our experts
Find the ideal venue for your corporate event
Your dream wedding
The perfect setting to host your truly unique wedding.
Find out how you can support our work at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.