Research Visitor Policy
- Because of the fragile nature of the specimens and their historical importance, visitors are required to handle the specimens with extreme care. If you do not have prior experience in handling herbarium specimens, you will be given a short handling induction.
- All visitors who stay for more than one day must complete a Science Registration Form which will be sent out prior to your visit.
- Any specimens studied need to be annotated using archival quality Determination / Fide slips, pens and glue. These can be supplied by Herbarium staff where necessary.
- Please inform us before your visit if you wish to consider the specimens for sampling for DNA analysis. Please read our Destructive Sampling policy.
- If you wish to study your own material, any incoming specimens will be frozen on the premises for at least five days before being allowed into the Herbarium. Please allow time for this process.
- Specimens may be photographed for non-commercial use. Any published photographs must bear the statement ‘Published with kind permission of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh'.
- Visitors should familiarise themselves with how to cite E specimens.
- A hard copy or pdf of the publication should be sent to the Herbarium when available.
- No one under the age of 12 years old is allowed in the Herbarium
Browse through our diverse range of formal and informal education programmes for people of all ages and at all levels
Books at the Botanics
RBGE publications include a range of titles with books on botany and botanical taxonomy, gardening and horticulture, art and history, children’s books and Guidebooks for all of our Gardens.
Knowledge Exchange links the research community with others.
Searchable Resource Centres
View our selection of searchable resource centres.
Check our latest news and connect with our experts
Find the ideal venue for your corporate event
Your dream wedding
The perfect setting to host your truly unique wedding.
Find out how you can support our work at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.