Volunteers help in many of departments and play an important role in our visitors' enjoyment and understanding of our Gardens
Opportunities to Volunteer
We encourage individuals to support our activities by becoming a volunteer. Volunteers support the work of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh in many ways and play a central role in the welcome and experience of our visitors.
The main role of the volunteer is to increase the educational value, interest and enjoyment of a visit to the Garden. This includes explaining the vital role of plants in everyday life and the need to ensure better management of the world's resources.
Volunteers are involved within various areas of the Garden including Horticulture, Science Communication, Phenology, Events, Exhibitions, Herbarium and Library.
All opportunities to volunteer are advertised on this page when they arise.
Looking for Job Vacancies?
Volunteer Gallery Assistant - The Fourth Cordis Prize for Tapestry
The Fourth Cordis Prize for Tapestry
16 March to 27 May 2019 (Launch evening Friday 15 March)
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (RBGE), Inverleith House is recruiting enthusiastic and friendly volunteers for a new exhibition The Fourth Cordis Prize for Tapestry.
We have exciting opportunities for volunteers to assist in the daily running of the gallery, acting as a friendly and informative point of contact for members of the public.
We are looking for volunteer gallery assistants who can commit to at least one day per week during 16 March to 27 May 2019, between the hours of 10.15am and 5.30pm.
Days and Hours can be flexible with prior notification.
The role includes the following:
- Welcoming and orientating visitors in the gallery
- Invigilating and ensuring the safety and security of works on display
- Answering questions about the gallery, exhibition and artists
- Encouraging visitors to engage with the exhibition and the works on display with awareness of different backgrounds and levels of understanding
- Working in a small team to ensure the smooth running of the exhibition and related events
- Engaging visitors with the resources and information available
- Maintaining the cleanliness of exhibition spaces
- Promoting health and safety across the gallery in line with RBGE’s policies
- Opportunities to take part in other activities such as leading discursive tours with small groups of visitors
What we can offer:
- Practical experience and training within a gallery setting
- References, advice and networking opportunities
- Allow you to develop confidence in communicating ideas about art
- Opportunities to participate in private views, openings and events
- 10% discount in the shop/restaurants
What we are looking for:
- Excellent communication and public engagement skills
- Interest in and/or knowledge of art and nature
- Ability to participate as a member of a team
- Ability to respond to general enquiries
- Attention to detail
- High level of presentation and professionalism
- Awareness of Health & Safety policy and procedures
Please send an application form to email@example.com indicating 'Volunteer Gallery Assistant’ in the subject line, by 9am on Monday 25th March
Herbarium South Asia Curation Volunteer
Herbarium South Asia Curation Volunteer
Our herbarium collections are organised into 19 floristic geographical regions. Traditionally at RBGE region 5, South Asia, has included: Pakistan, India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and the Maldives. At present this region contains over 400,000 specimens. The aim of this project is to split region 5 into five subdivisions which will enable researchers to work with the specimens more easily.
We would like volunteers to commit to at least 6 months. We are looking for help at the following time:
Tuesdays from 11:00 am onwards during initial training period, after which the starting time will be more flexible.
For more information about the project and volunteer role description click here.
If you wish to make an application, please complete the attached volunteer application form and return this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Monday 1st April 2019 indicating ‘Herbarium South Asia Curation Volunteer’ in the subject line. Please indicate on the form what relevant skills you can offer in support of your application. If you are successful in being given this volunteering opportunity you will be contacted directly. If you have not heard from anyone by 5th April, you must assume that your application has not been successful.
Friends of RBGE Committee - Gardening Scotland Volunteers
Friends of RBGE Committee
Gardening Scotland - Volunteers Needed
Friday 31 May - Sunday 2 June 2019
Gardening Scotland is one of the biggest horticultural events in Scotland with a huge range of ornamental and display gardens, a programme of workshops, displays of botanical art and exhibitors from a variety of ecological organisations (not to mention the opportunity to buy from a range of hundreds of plant species).
The Friends of RBGE will once again be running the two plant crèches to enable visitors to leave their plant purchases while they wander round the rest of the exhibits unencumbered! All donations go towards funding the work of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.
Volunteers are needed to assist with:
- Tending to the bags of plants
- Taking donations
All volunteers will receive a free pass for the day on which they volunteer, worth £17.
For more information, download the Garden Crèche Volunteer form.
If you are interested in finding out more about volunteering with your local Friends' Committee or would like to help at events please contact the Membership Office on 0131 552 5339 or email@example.com.
All volunteer opportunities will be promoted on this page when available; if there are no opportunities above, please try again at another time.
If you have any queries relating to volunteering at RBGE, please get in contact by using the enquiry formGet in Touch