Edible Gardening Project
Supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery, awarded funds through the Postcode Earth Trust.
The Edible Gardening Project is based at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh and shares horticultural knowledge, skills and enthusiasm for growing food with diverse communities. The project is for those who are keen to grow their own food but don’t know where to begin.
Key to the project are the volunteers who work hard to keep our demonstration edible garden looking fabulous. They are on hand at our workshops and drop in sessions to provide support and advice to people who are interested in brushing up on basic horticultural skills.
Inspiring Events And Invaluable Advice
Our team of community gardeners and dedicated volunteers work hard to keep our productive gardens looking great. They are on hand at our events to provide support and advice to people who are interested in brushing up on basic horticultural skills.
Meet The Gardener Sessions
From February to November the team provide weekly 'Meet the Gardener' sessions in the Demonstration Garden where members of the public can drop in for growing advice and get inspiration for their own gardens.
Gardening with Community Groups
The Project provides opportunities for local community groups who want to grow their own food. We have a number of groups who look after their own vegetable plots in the Demonstration Garden and attend on a weekly basis to work alongside one of our community gardeners. Groups such as Garvald, Edinburgh and Lothians Regional Equality Council and TEENS+ gain practical, hands-on experience of growing vegetables and learn horticultural skills.
We deliver a range of free workshops to community garden groups. Topics include vegetable growing for beginners, composting, growing winter vegetables and organic pest and disease control.
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh has received over £1.5 million since 2011 from players of People’s Postcode Lottery, support which has launched and grown our Edible Gardening Project as well as supported our valuable core work in plant research, conservation and education.
Find out more about People's Postcode Lottery.
About People's Postcode Lottery
People's Postcode Lottery is a charity lottery. Players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes whilst raising money for charities and good causes. A minimum of 32% will be awarded to charities, going directly to good causes like us.
Players of People's Postcode Lottery have the chance to win a prize every day.
- In 2019, there'll be Postcode Millions draws every month, each with a massive £3 Million prize fund.
- Each day, Monday to Friday, winning tickets in 20 postcodes scoop £1,000 each with our Daily Prize.
- Every Saturday and Sunday, you could win £30,000 for every ticket you play with.
- Every month, one player drives away a brand new BMW and tickets in one lucky postcode win a £7,000 Dream Holiday prize.
It's not just players who win with People's Postcode Lottery. A minimum of 32% is awarded to charities and good causes. Players of People’s Postcode Lottery have raised over £340 Million which is distributed to beneficiaries through trusts including the Postcode Earth Trust.
People's Postcode Lottery Terms and Conditions
People's Postcode Lottery manages multiple society lotteries promoted by different charities supporting a range of good causes.
For details on each week's society lottery please see the Charity Draw Calendar.
Players must be 16 years or over. Only available to play with postcodes in England, Scotland and Wales. Not available in NI. Conditions apply. See Terms & Conditions. Ticket price £2 with 5 draws each month and minimum £10 payable in advance. For a full list of prizes visit Prizes.
For assistance call us on 0808-10•9•8•7•6•5 or visit Contact Us. Trading address: 28 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh, EH2 4ET. © 2015 Postcode Lottery Ltd.
Maximum ticket prize is 10% of draw proceeds up to £400,000. Postcode Lottery Ltd is regulated by the Gambling Commission (contact email@example.com) under licences 000-000829-N-102511-009 and 000-000829-R-102513-008. Registered office: Postcode Lottery Ltd, Titchfield House, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR. Company reg. no. 04862732. VAT reg. no 848 3165 07.
People's Postcode Lottery - Gamble Responsibly
The majority of people do gamble responsibly. It may help you to keep your gambling under control by remembering the following;
- You're buying fun, not investing your money
- Before playing, set strict limits on how much time and money you're going to spend
- Quit while you're ahead
- Only gamble with money you can afford to lose
- Don't spend more money on gambling with the hope to win back money that you have lost
- Keep up other interests and hobbies – don't let gambling take over your life
- Don't gamble in order to escape from stress or boredom
- Gambling in moderation is okay
For some however gambling can become a problem. If you are concerned about the amount you are gambling, and feel it is taking over your life (or you are concerned for a friend or relative) then the following questions may help to give you some guidance.
- Have others ever criticised your gambling?
- Have you ever lied to cover up the amount you have gambled or time you have spent doing it?
- Do arguments, frustrations or disappointments make you want to gamble?
- Do you gamble alone for long periods?
- Do you stay away from work or college to gamble?
- Do you gamble to escape from a boring or unhappy life?
- Are you reluctant to spend 'gambling money' on anything else?
- Have you lost interest in your family, friends or pastimes due to gambling?
- After losing, do you feel you must try to win back your losses as soon as possible?
- When gambling and you run out of money, do you feel lost and in despair, and need to gamble again as soon as possible?
- Do you gamble until your last penny is gone?
- Have you lied, stolen or borrowed just to get money to gamble or to pay gambling debts?
- Do you feel depressed or even suicidal because of your gambling?
If you feel you have answered 'yes' to several of these questions then it may be that a gambling problem exists. For friendly and helpful advice from trained counsellors call the GamCare helpline on 0845 6000 133. The helpline is open 24 hours a day. Sometimes just telling someone about your problem can be a relief and it is the first step towards dealing with your problem. You can also visit the GamCare website www.gamcare.org.uk for more information and advice.