MAKE SPACE FOR NATURE
Make Space for Nature: A showcase event at the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh
2020 is a big year for nature and our environment, with lots of opportunities to help create a nature-rich future for everyone.
As well as the UNFCCC COP26 on climate change taking place in Glasgow in November, 2020 will also see global targets set for nature – or biodiversity - at the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) COP 15 in Kunming, China.
To help develop the new biodiversity targets the Scottish Government will host a workshop in conjunction with the CBD on 1-3 April 2020. The workshop will focus on the role of sub-national governments, regions and cities in sustaining global biodiversity, and what this level of Government expects of the Post 2020 Global Biodiversity Framework.
Make Space for Nature Showcase: 31 March 2020
It is with regret that we have decided to postpone the Making Space for Nature Showcase and evening reception events planned for 31st March at the RBGE.
This is due to the decision not to hold the ensuing 1-3 April UN biodiversity workshop hosted by the Scottish Government as an in-person event, meaning international delegates will no longer be visiting Edinburgh (the workshop will be held on-line).
With the absence of so many delegates, there is now no tie to the current date. However, in this special year for nature and the environment we want to build on the enthusiastic support for showcasing all the work we are doing to protect and promote Scotland’s nature.
Given the emerging government advice about COVID-19 we feel it would be premature to set a date for the Showcase event at the RBGE. We understand a lot of people have immediate concerns about family and friends. When matters are clearer we will announce our plans.
Follow us on Twitter:
For any questions or enquiries please email:
Planning your visit
How to get here
The conference venue is accessed through the main entrance at 20a Inverleith Row, EH3 5LR.
Getting to Edinburgh: VisitScotland
Transport options in Edinburgh:
- Buses: the Garden's main reception is accessed via Inverleith Row (EH3 5LR) and is served by Lothian Buses 8, 23 and 27 from the City Centre and 21 from Ferry Road (north of the Garden).
- Bicycle: Bicycle stands can be found at both public entrances to the Garden: the East Gate and the West Gate.
- Car: There is metered on-street parking available near the Garden’s West Gate (John Hope Gateway). Inverleith Row operates parking meters and cost £2.40 per hour with a maximum stay of 4hrs. For more information please visit parkopedia. You can car-share at liftshare.
Map and Directions to RBGE
About the Venue
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh captures the imagination of everyone who visits. There are over 70 acres of beautiful landscape to explore, providing a tranquil haven just one mile from the city centre. The spectacular Glasshouses are home to 3.000 exotic plants from around the world. The Garden is celebrating its 350th anniversary in 2020.
- Tropical Diversity
- Genetics and Conservation
- Cryptogamic Plants and Fungi
- Major Floras
- Scottish Biodiversity
- Where we work
- Scientific and Technical Services
- Library and Archives
- Training and Capacity Building
- Science Staff
- Science Advisory Committee
- Our Journals
- RBGE Weather Station
- Recording Rare Plants and Lichens
- Sibbaldia Conference April 2020
- Scottish Biodiversity Science Conference 2019
- Our work to combat the Climate Emergency
- Workshop for subnational governments in the CBD post 2020 global biodiversity framework
- World Leader in Science