About the Archives
The Archives hold papers and images relating to the history of the Garden and its plant collectors
Among them are the correspondence of Regius Keepers (RBGE Directors) and plant collectors including George Forrest, Joseph Rock and Reginald Farrer who all travelled in the region of South-west China and Burma in the early 20th century.
The Archives also include a rich collection of maps, drawings and images, including glass-plate negatives by George Forrest taken in Yunnan in China; and prints by many other photographers such as Robert Moyes Adam who was RBGE's official photographer between 1915 and 1949.
- History of RBGE and its three Regional Gardens, including drawings and maps
- Regius Keepers' papers
- Plant collectors' letters, diaries and photographs
- Glass plate negatives
- Early 20th century prints produced at RBGE
- Botanical Society of Scotland Archives
- Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society Archives
- Scottish Rock Garden Club Archives
The Archives are only staffed on a part time basis (although available throughout the Library opening hours) so it is vital to make an appointment before your visit so that we know you are coming and have time to retrieve what you are looking for.
Contact the Library and Archives
To book a visit or if you have any queries relating to the Library or Archives please get in touch using this formContact Us