What is the John Hope Gateway?
This pioneering and beautiful building at the West Gate offers a host of new experiences and attractions for visitors of all ages, such as:
- Welcome and orientation
- Dedicated biodiversity garden (to be planted in autumn 2009/spring 2010)
- Participation zones covering the introduction, importance and involvement of biodiversity
- Real Life Science studio with live video/web links to scientists and nature in Scotland and around the world
- Education room
- Dynamic exhibition areas
- Informative energy efficiency and design displays
- Flexible format private meeting room
- Exceptional themed shop and restaurant
Displays and changing exhibitions give Garden visitors a chance to find out more about biodiversity loss, climate change and the need to use resources in sustainable ways. They can also enjoy historically important heritage artefacts and specimens from the RBGE's national collections that have not previously been accessible to the public.
How is the building constructed?
The sustainable materials used, plus the various energy saving measures and renewable energy production, make the John Hope Gateway efficient and cheap to run. It is also an excellent example for promoting sustainability and design.
What are the opening times?
The John Hope Gateway is open daily March - Sept 10am - 6pm, Feb & Oct 10am - 5pm, Nov - Jan 10am - 4pm .