Pucks Hut is dedicated to the memory of Sir Isaac Bayley Balfour. The hut was originally erected in 1928 and was designed by Sir Robert Lorimer.
It was named Puck’s Hut due to its original location in Puck’s Glen, on the east side of Strath Eck. A carving of Puck adorns the roof. It was moved into the Garden in 1968 after a gale devastated the original area.
Bayley Balfour was Regius Keeper of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh from 1888 to 1922 and was responsible for conceiving the idea of a west coast outstation for the Botanic Garden.
The establishment of Benmore Botanic Garden as a national arboretum and rhododendron collection in 1928 realised this vision.