We encourage individuals to support our activities through becoming a volunteer. Volunteers support the work of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh in many ways. The main role of the volunteer is to increase the educational value, interest and enjoyment of a visit to the Garden. This includes explaining the vital role of plants in everyday life and the need to ensure better management of the world's resources.
At present volunteers operate within various areas of the Garden including Horticulture, Science Communication, Events, Herbarium and Library. Herbarium volunteers assist with the mounting and curation of specimens, and Library volunteers usually work in the Archives or Illustrations collections. All opportunities to volunteer will be fully advertised below when they arise.
School Gardening Project Volunteers
RBGE School Gardening Project is looking for new volunteers for two sessions either on:
Tuesday mornings (9am - 12.30am) and / or afternoons (12pm – 2.30pm)
Thursday mornings (9am - 12.30am) and / or afternoons (12pm – 2.30pm)
The Project will run from March to the end of September
As a volunteer you will join a vibrant team who:
- On Tuesday’s help a group of secondary pupils (am) or Special School (pm) to grow their own vegetables in our raised bed gardens at RBGE
- On Thursday’s help supervise groups of primary age children from a local school to grow their own vegetables in our raised bed gardens at RBGE
- Join in with other educational activities such as arts and crafts, games and experiments
- Help prepare, set-up and tidy up after each session
- Befriend and support the learning of the children
- Celebrate the end of the project by attending an assembly at school
If you are interested in helping with this project, as well as gaining valuable practical experience with our Education team, please complete the attached volunteer application form and return this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Applications will be considered until the closing date of 28 March 2014. Please indicate on the form what relevant skills you can offer in support your application. If you are successful in being given this volunteering opportunity you will be contacted directly by staff in the School Gardening Project before Friday 4th April. If you have not heard from anyone by this date you must assume that your application has not been successful.
All volunteers in the School Gardening Project will need to be registered with Disclosure Scotland’s PVG scheme and RBGE will conduct any necessary security checks prior to the offer of any placement.
Schools placements are co-ordinated through Career Development Edinburgh and Lothians.