We welcome visits to the Herbarium by colleagues from recognised scientific institutes, including their students with experience in handling specimens.
To arrange a visit please contact the Curator at:
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
20A Inverleith Row
Edinburgh EH3 5LR
Telephone: (+44) (0) 131 248 2992
Fax: (+44) (0) 131 248 2901
Or contact us via the enquiry form (select ‘Herbarium').
Daily opening hours for the Herbarium are:
Monday - Friday (excl. public holidays)
8.00am - 5.30pm
In the first instance, visitors should report to reception at 20A Inverleith Row (after 9.00am), from where they will be accompanied by a member of the Herbarium team.
- Because of the fragile nature of the specimens and their historical importance, visitors are required to handle the specimens with extreme care. It is expected that all visitors will have prior experience in handling herbarium specimens. They must be kept flat and carried on boards to prevent damage.
- Any specimens studied need to be annotated using archival quality Determination / Fide slips, pens and glue. These can be supplied by Herbarium staff where necessary.
- Any incoming specimens will be frozen on the premises for at least five days before being allowed into the Herbarium. Please allow for this if you wish to study your own material.
- Specimens may be photographed for non-commercial use. Any published photographs must bear the statement ‘Published with kind permission of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh'.
- For information on Loans and our Destructive Sampling Policy, please follow the links on the right.
Getting to the Herbarium
Please follow the link for information about how to reach us.
Please note - If you plan to visit Edinburgh during August please book accommodation well in advance as the city is extremely busy that month because of the Edinburgh International Festival.