Front of House Assistant
Temporary 1 April – 31 October, based in Edinburgh
Starting Salary £14,975 pro rata (Band A)
We are looking to recruit two self-motivated and enthusiastic individuals to work as part of our Exhibition team at the Inverleith House Gallery on a part time basis (22.2 hours per week).
Specifically you will:
- Act as first point of contact for all visitors to the gallery, welcoming visitors and providing detailed information about exhibitions.
- Support the provision of meaningful experiences for visitors to the gallery and for volunteers
- Coordinate and work with Volunteer Information Assistants to ensure the gallery is always well staffed
- Be responsible for the smooth running of the gallery during weekends
- Provide additional administrative support to the Exhibitions Team
- Promote Inverleith House events and publications
- Be responsible for all sales taking place at Inverleith House including publications and ticket sales.
The applicant must be willing to work as part of a small team, be highly organised and possess excellent communication skills. Knowledge of contemporary art is essential as well as an interest in public engagement with botanical science through art.
Full details of the post including a job description and person specification can be downloaded from this page.
Interested applicants should send a CV and covering letter outlining the skills and experience they could bring to the post, along with a completed equal opportunities questionnaire to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5pm on 17 March 2015.
If you have not heard from us by 31 March 2015, please assume that your application has not been shortlisted. No recruitment agencies please.
Equate CareerWise Work Placement
Afghanistan Plant Portal Development Assistant
Temporary 1 June – 31 August, based in Edinburgh
Salary £1000 pcm
Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) are vital to Scotland’s future, yet many women are not entering these sectors. CareerWise is an initiative whose aim is to encourage more girls and women to consider and pursue STEM careers, through the provision of information on STEM career opportunities and the route into these sectors through valuable work experience.
The Centre for Middle Eastern Plants (CMEP) at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is offering a CareerWise placement in the summer of 2015. This placement will offer the chance to work alongside CMEP staff and their partners to contribute to current research and capacity development programs in the Middle East and SW Asia.
We are looking to recruit a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual specifically to engage in the development and testing of a pipeline to establish a web-based Afghanistan Plant Portal, to enable environmental decision making in Afghanistan.
Specifically you will:
- Work alongside CMEP Project staff to design and develop components of a web-based portal to enable the extraction of plant species and spatial distribution data.
- Upload information into a draft portal, including geo-referencing spatial data.
- Test data retrieval and propose modifications.
- Prepare formal pipeline for data input and retrieval, geo-referencing and analyses for specific functions, to be followed by subsequent staff on the Portal program.
This placement would suit someone with an interest in making scientific information available electronically for specific applications and analyses that will contribute to sustainable development of biodiversity conservation. ICT undergraduates with web design and data accessibility skills are particularly suitable, as well as plant science and ecology undergraduates with strong and relevant ICT skills. A demonstrable interest in sustainable development and biodiversity conservation are essential.
The applicant must be willing to work as part of a small team, possess good attention to detail, have excellent organisation skills, and be a proactive and communicative team member.
CareerWise Placements are open to female STEM students currently matriculated at a Scottish University, and with a current visa applicable for work in Scotland.
Full details of the position and details of how to apply can be downloaded from this page:
Informal enquiries and further details about this placement can be sent to email@example.com
The closing date for applications is Friday 13th March 2015.